Veggies Going Bad!

dragonchick88

Every time me and my fiance get green for our bearded dragons they go bad within like a couple of days! What can we do to make them last longer without getting soggy?

What exactly are you buying and how are you preparing/storing it?

I use a mix of fresh greens from the grocery. Typically I use some combination of kale, swiss chard, collard greens, dandelion greens, parsley, etc, depending on what they have and what looks good. I typically buy it in the late afternoon or early evening, wash and let dry thoroughly overnight. In the morning I chop them in a food processor along with some pepper and carrot, use what I need and refrigerate the remainder in zip-loc bags with a paper towel to absorb any residual moisture. I am careful to squeeze out as much of the air as possible before sealing them in. The mix keeps well for a week like that.

Jim, do you let it sit out overnight to dry, or do you refrigerate it? I think that's where I'm going wrong, lol.

I leave it out. And I usually shake the water out of the leaves a few times over the course of the evening.

Ah, ok.....mine never seemed to get totally dry in the 'fridge. I'll have to try your "method" and see if it works better....thanks! :)

Your beardies eat processed veggies...hmmm...never thought of doing that.We usually feed ours collard greens and it usually goes bad after a few days in the fridge.I didnt realize the need for shaking off the remaining water before putting them in the fridge.Learn something new every day :)

jmkhet said:
Your beardies eat processed veggies...hmmm...never thought of doing that.We usually feed ours collard greens and it usually goes bad after a few days in the fridge.I didnt realize the need for shaking off the remaining water before putting them in the fridge.Learn something new every day :)
I use the slicer feature on my food processor which makes the greens into bite size pieces, not the big blade which would chop them into a paste. :p If any pieces come through too big they go to the birds when I'm doling it out, not the beardies.

I have, in the past, kept parsely for two or more weeks after processing, as long as it was really dry. The key seems to be not letting in much external moisture.

I add some thawed peas and soybeans, and generally some fresh fruit or zucchini when I'm serving it.

My animals eat well.

Back