• I know this topic has come up many times over the past, whether it be in response to a thread, or a private message or email directly to me, but I think this needs to be formalized as a policy in such a way that those people who may not be aware of their own personal responsibilities when posting and/or responding to classified ads here can be made aware of this site wide policy.

Specifically, the staff, administrator, owner, programmer, consultants, server technical staff, nor anyone else in a management or supporting function for this site will NOT be held responsible for your poor decisions concerning who you do business with.

No one here in a management or support position audits the classified ads or advertisers for accuracy, legitimacy, trustworthiness, legality, nor past evidence of anyone engaging in actions contrary to the above. We are only providing a medium and service for anyone with a desire to post classified ads for public viewing to be able to do so. This is also for people interesting in such ads to reply to them and make their own private arrangements, if they so desire, to engage in a transaction with one or more parties in that pursuit. We will not, and cannot, advise, nor imply advise or guidance, as to whether your purchase, sale, trade, or any other relationship or contact with another party is in your best interests, legal in your area, or without potential risk of loss. Just because a classified ad is on this site does not imply that such ad or advertiser is something or someone that has been vetted and approved to guarantee that you can trust the information or the poster of such information. The risk of any potential losses of any kind falls squarely and solely upon your own shoulders, as you are expected to do whatever diligent research you consider prudent concerning whatever actions you are considering engaging in with another party. It is your money, so do whatever you deem prudent to guarantee to yourself that you are spending it wisely. We cannot help you before nor after the fact if things don't turn out as you had hoped for. Ads will not be deleted on your request. Advertisers will not be banned on your request. We will not act as judge or jury in any such disputes.

As such, your contacting any staff about your personal issues with another member in any manner will be a fruitless effort on your part. Any information you impart will merely be hearsay to us. We cannot act on any such correspondence in any manner. If you wish to blow off some steam, then sure, fire away. But understand that our taking your word on anything and acting on that information puts us in legal jeopardy. Your rendition of the story might not be factual or truthful. We have no way of knowing. And we just do not have the resources available to try to get to whatever is the actual truth.

=====================
    ADDENDUM ADDED 02-22-2021 in reference to BOI style posts mentioned in the paragraph following this addendum:

Effective immediately, replies made to classified ads that are of a BOI style nature will be solely under the control of the original author of a classified ad thread. But that sole remedy will be to delete the ad in order to be able to delete the replies. An exception to this general rule will be in any case that it appears obvious that the poster of such replies is causing widespread abuse across various classified ads, and his or her intent is obviously of ill intent. Things such as hounding someone because the viewer does not like the price being offered or OUR OPINION of frivolous nitpicking will be looked at closely as possible abuse. This will be at the discretion of the moderators, and does not imply that any and all claims by the original author of such classified ads will result in any action by the staff here. Just because YOU may have an unhappy customer of yours hounding you about their dissatisfaction with YOU, is not cause for staff to act in your behalf. YOU have the power to do something about it, even though you may consider that power to being somewhat drastic. Regardless, that will be your responsibility and your ONLY recourse.

Accordingly with the above in mind, BOI style posts are ONLY going to be allowed when they are posted as REPLIES to existing classified ad threads that have been created by the target of such replies. Starting a new thread anywhere on this site, including within the classifieds section with the goal of referring to anyone as a "good guy" or a "bad guy" in any way, shape or form, is not allowed on this site and will result in an infraction and the thread being deleted. As I have mentioned before, this Board Of Inquiry style posting will only be acceptable as an internal function solely with the goal of helping to inhibit "bad actors" from advertising on this site. What happens elsewhere is no longer permitted to be aired here. If you make a deal on any other site or though any other function other than directly through the classified ads here, that is no longer any of this site's concern. Nor will this site be used to air any such incidents.

And as such, I strongly urge all advertisers to limit correspondence with potential buyers and sellers ONLY via the private messaging function of this site. This forces contacts to register on the site in order to contact you, and therefore gives the staff here some power over helping to keep "bad actors" that register using false ID information from being able to access YOU in order to try to snare you in fraudulent offers. But that is up to you. And YOU need to report such incidents. Staff will not be aware of it unless YOU make that effort. Of course, if you provide your phone number, email address, or whatever alternate contact method you choose, and someone contacts you and defrauds you in that manner, again, that is not any of our concern. That will be considered as taking place EXTERNALLY to this website.

In consideration of the above, the staff here will only have a single recourse of looking into any accused "bad actor" and determine if they have used false information to register an account on this site. You will need to provide evidence of such a claim. And if such registration info is determined to be false, the account accordingly will be banned or deleted. Sorry, but that is the sole remedy available to us as an official recourse.

This change in policy and method is all being designed to try to help YOU when you try to do business here, and otherwise engage with others with trades, or other exchanges of merchandise and money. If you fail to take the necessary steps to protect yourself in reasonable and suggested manners, then when you get scammed, you know who to look to for your failure to protect yourself. You and YOU alone. Scammers are out there, and they are looking for YOU to scam. We will try to help all we can to prevent that from happening, but ultimately YOU make the decision of who to do business with. YOU have to understand that no blocks or attempted protections will ever be completely foolproof. So plan accordingly.

Please reference the following thread if you have questions or need any clarification about this policy change.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750570

=====================

+++++++++++++++++++++
    In reference to the above addendum, the below paragraph is no longer valid:

With the removal of the Board of Inquiry forums on 02-02-2020, any and all postings about any party, whether a member or not, whether positive or negative, will not be allowed anywhere on this site. This includes posting experiences about them, their policies, their personality, how they talked to you on the phone, or anything else concerning recommendations for or against doing business with them. This specifically includes replies in the classifieds sections to any ads they place on this site. Those sorts of postings simply will not be tolerated nor permitted to remain. Doing so will simply result in such postings being removed and the poster incurring infractions for violating the rules of the site. Such postings being removed and the imposition of infractions are not to be construed as any actual nor implied advocacy for or against either side of any such arguments, it is merely and solely the objective enforcement of the rule against posting any such information on this site.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

Concerning legality of animals or items being offered for sale, I am sorry, but we cannot do the investigative research necessary to determine what is legal or illegal in every jurisdiction across this planet. You are expected to know the laws that pertain to you and any party you are considering engaging in a business transaction with. If in doubt, either do the research necessary to determine your legal liability, or simply decline to participate in the transaction if you have any doubts.

This site is here to offer interested members the ability to buy, sell, and trade animals and merchandise they are interesting in and willing to deal with. We provide the medium for this service, and except for enforcing violations of the site's rules, that is the sole extent of our involvement in this pursuit that you, the membership, engages in. You are responsible for your own decisions, no one else. So please choose wisely concerning what you buy, sell, or trade, and who it is you choose to do business with.
  • FaunaClassifieds has been running on this old vBulletin software for a very long time. Well, the server guys told me that sometime this month the modules needed to run this old vBulletin software on my current server will no longer be supported. So if an issue crops up that would require a patch, well, SOL for me. So I had a gun to my head, it seems.

So I contacted a developer specializing in a new platform and he has been working on a conversion for this site as well as my others. It is supposed to be ready SHORTLY. Maybe this week (week beginning 06/10/2024).

If you want to take a peek at what the new system will look like, please go to my https://www.cornsnakes.com site to see how things look there. I had that converted first to see if this was even viable. There WAS a chance that everything would just have to go down the tubes if that didn't work out.

I am also moving everything to a new server as well, so things might be hairy for a while. There will be little if any notice when I have to shut down the site to capture the current data for a final update in the new software platform. And it will have to be shut down for the duration while the switch is taking place and all the pointers are directing traffic to the new site on the new server. This is a LARGE system, so it will take some time. How much? Beats me. This is new to me too.

Is if going to be different? Yes! Absolutely! Will everyone like the change> NO! Absolutely! But it is a necessity and there is no going back to the old version. Some may like it more. Some may not notice much difference. Certainly some will hate it and go elsewhere. Just the way it is.

Yes, there may be bugs. Some may be just that it is different in how it works in the new code. You will have to notify me about them, if it is a bonafide bug. And hopefully they can be fixed or some workaround developed. It may be a case of just the way it is done now. Some features here now are going to go away simply because they have not gotten enough use to warrant being converted in the new system. Not worth the time, energy, and expense if they just have not been popular with you all.

Probably your first and only sign that the conversion is taking place will be when you come to this site and only get a notice that it is down for the duration of the conversion. As soon as the conversion is complete, the next time you visit, you should be able to access the new site. Yes, it is going to look different, so take your time to check it out thoroughly before yelping about the change and asking me how you do the things you used to do. Honestly this will be as new to you as it will be to me too, so don't expect a lot of help out of me. I have just had too many other things on my plate lately to have had much incentive to play with this stuff.

Anyway, please have patience with the new system and just try it for a while to see if it grows on you. Heck, you may even like it better after you become familiar with it.
  • If something does not work correctly, or perhaps something has changed here that you are not aware of, PLEASE check the Feedback Forum in the Admin Area of this site. That is where I will be posting information that might have a bearing on what you are experiencing. Changes can happen here as needed, when needed, and there is just no way I can contact everyone before hand to let them know of the pending changes. I'm sorry, but I just cannot take the time to respond to maybe hundreds of emails from people perplexed and wanting me to personally relate to them why they can no longer do something that they used to be able to do. So, quite frankly, I will just have to ignore those emails and not reply. Or, at best I may just request that you check the Feedback Forum for an answer to your question.

https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

This is just FYI to let you know that there IS a place on this site where such information is posted, or if you can't find the answer, then you can ask it there to get an answer to help you.
  • Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please note that the information requested during registration will be used to determine your legitimacy as a participant of this site. As such, any information you provide that is determined to be false, inaccurate, misleading, or highly suspicious will result in your registration being rejected. This is designed to try to discourage as much as possible those spammers and scammers that tend to plague sites of this nature, to the detriment of all the legitimate members trying to enjoy the features this site provides for them.

Of particular importance is the REQUIREMENT that you provide your REAL full name upon registering. Sorry, but this is not like other sites where anonymity is more the rule.

Also your TRUE location is important. If the location you enter in your profile field does not match the location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected. As such, I strongly urge registrants to avoid using a VPN service to register, as they are often used by spammers and scammers, and as such will be blocked when discovered when auditing new registrations.

Sorry about all these hoops to jump through, but I am quite serious about blocking spammers and scammers at the gate on this site and am doing the very best that I can to that effect. Trust me, I would rather be doing more interesting things with my time, and wouldn't be making this effort if I didn't think it was worthwhile.

SPAM - North Florida Zoological

Mark and Aimee

AussieDragons.com
Is anyone else getting hit with SPAM from "North Florida Zoological?

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 9:11 PM
To: (deleted)
Subject: 1 Current Surplus Herp Stock

Hello,

Please find our current surplus herp stock list attached. Let us know your needs.

Thank you,

Michael Welker
Mickey Arnold
352-264-7826

----------------------

To: Michael E. Welker
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 11:25 PM
Subject: RE: 1 Current Surplus Herp Stock

Hi. Did I ask you to send this to me? I'm not sure, as I have requested price lists from a few different companies lately. But I don't recognize your name....

Mark

-------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 9:16 AM
To: Mark Berger
Subject: Re: 1 Current Surplus Herp Stock

Hello Mark,

No, we just took it upon our selves to send it to you. We got your email from a breeder contact of ours. If we can help you with anything please let us know. If not, I'm sorry to bother you.

Take Care,

Mike Welker & Mickey Arnold
North Florida Zoological
352-264-7826
Let us know your needs.
We specialize in North American herps not usually offered.
We are always interested in your locality wild caught herps and captive born offspring.
Trades welcome.

------------------------------

To: Michael E. Welker
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2004 9:16 AM
Subject: RE: 1 Current Surplus Herp Stock

Please remove me from your list. I've yet to purchase anything from SPAM, and probably never will.

Sorry.

Mark

---------------------

So I thought that would be the last I heard of them..... Think again.

---------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 1 PRICE LIST 5/27/2004

NORTH FLORIDA ZOOLOGICAL

Gainesville, Florida USA

(352) 264-7826

[email protected]

PRICE LIST 5/27/2004

(deleted)

North Florida Zoological

Reptiles, Amphibians, Invertebrates & Mammals

[email protected]

352-264-7826

Let us know your needs.
We are always interested in your locality wild caught herps and captive born offspring.
Trades welcome.

------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:04 PM
Subject: RE: 1 PRICE LIST 5/27/2004

I have already asked you once to remove me from your spam list. I will not ask again. I feel my first request was sufficient, and you have left me with no choice but to take action.

PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST. You have been reported to your Internet Service Provider.

Mark & Aimee Berger
Outback Snakehouse
Colorado Springs, CO
http://www.outbacksnakehouse.net
http://www.aussiedragons.com
http://www.babyberger.com
719-638-4435
[email protected]

------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 11:04 PM
Subject: I'm sorry I thought you were removed

Hello Mark,

I removed you the first time you emailed me. You must have been listed twice or something. I deleted you again. No need to get an attitude.

Take Care,

North Florida Zoological

Reptiles, Amphibians, Invertebrates & Mammals

[email protected]

352-264-7826

Let us know your needs.
Trades welcome.

-----------------

I have already reported this idiot. Why on earth would I do business with anyone who repeatedly SPAMs me? I have NEVER purchased anything from an unsolicited email, and NEVER will. What a moron!

Sounds to me like Mark does have an attitude. He also has showed his inmaturity by name calling. I guess this shows what type of person he is. Get over yourself Mark!

Sounds to me like Mark does have an attitude. He also has showed his inmaturity by name calling. I guess this shows what type of person he is. Get over yourself Mark!

Glad you have come here to explain yourself. Everything makes perfect sense now.

I guess it's OK that you try to do business by SPAM... Everyone appreciates that!

Hi Mike. Regardless of Mark's attitude most people really don't like spam. I don't think you meant any harm by it but you don't want to alienate possible future customers either. Good luck in your business.:)

I got the DREADED SPAM too!!!

It was just in 2 of my email accounts not even a half hour ago. Mark, let me help you out on this one. There should be a button labeled "Delete" somewhere on your screen. If you click on it, the email will no longer be there and it will not offend you anymore. And you won't have to take time out of your busy schedule to come here and beg for attention and acceptance from your fellow whiners and know-it-alls. I usually only read the BOI to reassure me why I have backed out out of this hobby alot. SO many crybabies. Just thought I could interject cause this really seems to be getting to you. Oh, and I totally agree with Mike. For someone to start sniveling and name calling over something so petty really does show what kind of person they are in real life. Get over it you poor thing. Where's Ritchie Luna and his 10 or so disciples that love to throw their own 2 worthless cents into every thread? This is the perfect opportunity for him to flex his big wannabe cop muscles from his keyboard. Let's all help them out and think of who we can report Mike to for sending out a bulk email. It'll save them the time of figuring it out on their own and making empty ridiculous threats. They're obviously very busy people. But then they wouldn't get the pleasure of stroking each other today like they do every other day and we'll all have to read double stupidity tomorrow. Don't sweat it Mike. He's (they're) not worth it. Just sit back and smile.

It's an intrusion no matter how you look at it. The fact that it's done by a fellow herper makes it a little more painful than the normal spam we all get and delete daily.

I've gotten it at least 4 times in the last week. It is annoying and since it is intrusive as well as unasked for I would think real hard about doing business with these guys if they had something I wanted.

Mark may have over reacted a bit, oh my, oh my. Off with his head.

Spam is still SPAM no matter who sends it or why. Just because he didn't appreciate it doesn't make him out to be a bad guy.

twiztid do you realize that you are largely doing exactly what you don't think mark should be doing?

I think the saying goes something like this,"hey pot, kettle here, did you know you're black?'' and then the reply from pot is, " nuh uh, YOU ARE!" and so on ad infinitum.

Wes Pollock

Irregardless of of whether Mark over reacted or not, it is still spam, an unsolicited commercial email. It also violates the new "Can Spam Act" that went into effect on January 01, 2004. The body of the email contains no method for the receiver to be removed from the spammer's email list. This is a violation.

With the latest figures showing close to 85% of email traffic is spam, this doesn't help. I personally never buy from spam and report all spam received to spam cop. With enough complaints, and it doesn't take many, the spammer's mail server gets blacklisted and all of his emails bounce. Report him to spam cop Mark.

Yeah, I do realize...

I'm basically going to extremes myself but like you just said, "oh no, oh no, off with his head". That's exactly what Mark implied with Mike right? I personally would rather get spam regarding reptiles than penis enlagement, haha. At least it's something interesting that has the possibility of being useful. I think it's a good idea. I can't use any of the animals on Mike's list myself so I just looked it over and deleted it. Twice. What's the big deal? No need to "cut his head off for it". Isn't there anything else better to point fingers, oust perfectly innocent people as "bad guys" and complain about today or what? Hey, it's Friday. I'm bored at work. Thought I'd contribute a logical point of view to some new bull$hit on this board.

someone around here has a DIFFERENT name but sounds REALLY REALLY familiar.
hhhhmmm who could it be?
and why use a fake name?
If you click on it, the email will no longer be there and it will not offend you anymore.
Easier said than done. By the time I come home from Lunch I have 75 avg spam mails to delete. byt the time I come home from work for the day I have an average of 50 more.

I usually only read the BOI to reassure me why I have backed out out of this hobby alot.
That is pretty impressive considering you just registered last month (april 2004). So what is your REAL name and what other screen names do you have?

Where's Ritchie Luna and his 10 or so disciples that love to throw their own 2 worthless cents into every thread?
Here I am. But only because you called. So you can throw your 2 cents in but no one else can? ...really starting to sound familiar. ryan from delaware.....yeah right

This is the perfect opportunity for him to flex his big wannabe cop muscles from his keyboard.
wanna be cop? really really starting to sound familiar. Keep it up. oh yeah......what did this thread have to do with me? because half of everything you posted has to do with me and not about the people in the thread

Let's all help them out and think of who we can report Mike to for sending out a bulk email. It'll save them the time of figuring it out on their own and making empty ridiculous threats. They're obviously very busy people. But then they wouldn't get the pleasure of stroking each other today like they do every other day and we'll all have to read double stupidity tomorrow. Don't sweat it Mike. He's (they're) not worth it. Just sit back and smile.
definately sounding familiar..... Definately not a ryan from Delaware.

For a guy who has all the balls to talk all this SH!T......you sure are too much Chicken SH!T to post your REAL name.

tell me again what this thread has to do with me?

PaulRevere [edit] [find posts by user] [find more ips for user]
pitbullophis [edit] [find posts by user] [find more ips for user]
TonyMontana [edit] [find posts by user] [find more ips for user]
ToxicAvenger [edit] [find posts by user] [find more ips for user]
Twiztid [edit] [find posts by user] [find more ips for user]

What does ryan Mills have in common with all of the above people?
1. They are all from different states....so that can't be it.
2. they all have AOL
3. they all work at the EXACT same place

but you ask how can they all be from different states but be working in the same EXACT place.

it is because he is to chicken to put where he really is from .

Say hello to Ryan Mills.

I mean Ryan Trude.

Oh I meant say good bye.
I never banned anyone myself......but I think i will practice just for Rayn.

p.s. all the above names have been banned by the real moderators and admin.
it is time for me to try my hand at it

North Florida Zoological

My name is Mickey Arnold. My partner (Mike Welker) and I own North Florida Zoological in Gainesville, Fl. We are the ones that sent out the e-mails. We got the list from another breeder and we have sent several e-mails with our price lists on it and had many positive responses. We have had several people ask to be removed, which we promptly did. What we didn't realize was that several names were on there multiple times as well as several people have multiple e-mail addresses. We sincerely apologize to everyone for the mistake/s. We were trying to thin that (e-mail) list down although we are considering not doing any business that way at all. Although a lot of people do by animals that way, we do understand how frustrating SPAM can be and we will work to eliminate this problem.

Thank you, Mickey Arnold

Ryan LOL

Been wondering when Ryan Trude, the little college boy wanna be would appear again pretending to be someone else.

North Florida Zoological obviously have a problem with how they conduct or try to generate business and don't seem to undertstand that sending unwanted emails is just SPAM, regardless of the content.

Or maybe they do NOW!

:D

SPAM

We have apologized for the mistakes and this will be the last time we post about this. I and my partner have been in this business for over 15 years (We finally decided to make it an official business just recently) and have done business with many well respected people (Barney Tomberlin (Hatari Invertebrates), Carl Barden (Medtoxin Venom Lab) to name just a couple) and have never once had our reputation questioned. We sell to a lot of different people and have never had one complaint. We were both hesitant to sell via e-mail list or on these various internet sites because if you make one mistake you get "thrown under the bus". (All of our business up to this point has been through private breeders, wholesalers, etc...) As I said in the previous post we do apologize (for the last time) and will re-examine our business practices.

We did not intentionally leave anyone on the list that requested to be removed. If it is in fact illegal to send out that list without a "remove button" we will stop immediately.

Thanks, Mickey Arnold
North Florida Zoological

banning

If you know its a static IP why not ban the address instead of the user? Obviously the user banning hasnt worked on this guy......unless i misread Ritchie's post, but Im pretty sure he said they were all from the EXACT location, meaning a static IP.

Also heres a link to what the spam legistlation that was passed covers. This is just a summary but the second link actually is the full wording of the law.

http://www.spamlaws.com/federal/summ108.html#s877

http://www.spamlaws.com/federal/108hr2515.html

If you know its a static IP why not ban the address instead of the user? Obviously the user banning hasnt worked on this guy......unless i misread Ritchie's post, but Im pretty sure he said they were all from the EXACT location, meaning a static IP.

I believe they are users of AOL which all users have the same IP... therefore the only way to deal with it is to either ban all AOL users, or just do the research as each case pops up.

As far as the topic of this thread... first let me say that I believe that North Florida Zoological is indeed contrite that they have offended ANYONE with their email list.

Having said that I must say that ANYONE who emails a price list or a "buy from me" type email to someone who has NOT REQUESTED it is sending SPAM. While they may be sending it only to a target audience (as all spammers try to do, which baffles me when they want to sell me viagra, cialis, penis enlargment, or whatever... as I'm a female person)... the point is that they are sending it to people who DID NOT ASK FOR THE EMAIL. It is a FOUL business practice and "removing people who request it" is forcing people to have to do something to STOP the email which should never have been sent to them in the first place.

Rich has voluntary newsletters for those interested in learning about his specials. I've signed up for it, and I don't mind getting it. I asked for it. But I hate and detest email that I haven't asked for. I hate the scum who think they can sell me on a mortgage, just because they have put a period in the middle of the word so that my spam filter won't know to dump it in the trash can.

I think it's especially detestable (and this is the topic of herp related spam) because it leaves a lot of herpers with NO CHOICE but to have to realize each time that it is spam. You can't put herp related words into your "dump in trash" list because you'll miss some important emails.

Again, I believe that the apology was sincere, but I did feel the need to express my feelings on the TOPIC of spam.

JMO

Sounds like these guys made a bad business choice and possibly have learned from their mistakes. I think everybody is touchy about spam but I don't believe these guys are a part of the major spam scum they mostly appear to be just some under informed newbie to retail salesmen looking for their market. Sounds like a mistake, that they are currently aware of, lets see what they do with it now. I believe everybody screws up sometimes its how you "fix" it that makes the all the difference. They can turn this BOI thread into a positive if their actions are swift and deliberate or it could be the anchor that takes them to the bottom.

Mark .... Thank You for the heads up
Mickey & Mike .... The balls in your court, Good Luck
Ryan .... Bye Again
Ritchie .... Good Job as always

Respectfully,

Re: North Florida Zoological

marnold34 said:
My name is Mickey Arnold. My partner (Mike Welker) We got the list from another breeder
Thank you, Mickey Arnold

I did VERY little business with any breeders last year and off the top of my head I don't think any of the ones I did do business with would sell/give my email address to someone else.

Who is this breeder that you got my email address from? If he gave you mine it's only fair for you to tell me who he/she is in return.

Wes Pollock

im gettin their suposed wholesale pricelist SPAM

i keep getting their suposedly wholesale pricelist sent to me matter fact i just got another 1 like 2 days ago i guess my non response to it isnt enough ill have to email them as well and tell them to remove me from their spam list ... would've been nice for them to email me 1st and ask me if i was interested in their list but nope they just send it away ..and away i delete it lol

GL in your ventures North Florida Zoo but u should really reconsider how you go about trying to get business drummed up ...

The problem with having to reply to spam in order to be removed from it is that when you reply you are verifying to the spammr that there is someone reading email at that address.

That makes the address valuable for resale or additional spam.

Another verification trick is called a "web bug", where a small 1 pixel image is linked from the email sent to you. If your email software opens images automatically, it connects to their webserver and downloads that 1 pixel image with a unique name identifying it as being attached to your address.

So, realistically, any spam that makes it into a persons inbox is an inconvenience. They're trapped in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario". If they don't do anything, they'll probably get more spam. If they request to be removed, there is a very good chance they will get even MORE spam when the address is verified and resold.

The CAN-SPAM act isn't any use at all against those who use overseas mail relays in china and russia, and it also has rather large loopholes allowing several industries to spam with impunity as well.

If a company decides they need to get into email marketing, I suggest the "one time" approach. I have had companies use this approach with me and appreciate it.

They email you once, and one time only, stating the nature of the business and full disclosure of their operations, phone number etc. Then they say that if you would like to receive future mailings from them, please respond to the mail itself or go to a link on their website. If you don't respond, you don't get added to their new list. It's a passive removal system that lets you ignore mail you don't want, and lets them see who really wants to hear from them. It's a bit more work for the retailer, but they don't run the risk of alienating clients.

Too many e-mail marketers take the easy way out and just take a database of addresses and mail them without dupe-checking or even being aware of who their targets are. That's no way to run a business. Treat email business as you would any face to face dealings, and the headaches for all will decrease.

Back