Hog Island Blood?

Socratic Monologue

Benefactor Member
Benefactor
Reaction score
"Hog Island Blood" boa -- what's up with using a locale to stand in for a genetic trait?

Is a Blood x Hog Island still a Hog Island, or is it het for Hog Island? Or is it 50% Hog Island? What if I bred this boa back to a sibling -- would the offspring be 25% normal, 50% Hog Island and 25% Super Hog Island?

If it it 50% Hog Island, what percentage of Hog Island is required to call it 'Hog Island"? Is it like homeopathy, where the active ingredient can be diluted so many times that statistically it no longer exists in the sample? What if one Hog Island boa made it into mainland wild populations -- would every single wild mainland boa be 'Hog Island' after so many generations? (If so, then we're all Neanderthals, which explains so many things.) What if there were just a Hog Island boa in the room -- would some Hog Island waft over to the rest of the boas? Is Hog Island contagious, maybe carried by mites?

If any amount of Hog Island ancestry makes it a Hog Island, then this could be great -- my generic Baja Rosy Boa is now a San Matias San Felipe El Rosario Catavina Bay of LA Mag Plains Cabo Rosy Boa, and if we follow morphed out ball python pricing it would be worth like $25,000. My God I'm rich, RICH I tell you!!

The whole point is to differentiate bloods with hog island influence, from typical blood Central American/colombian locality crosses.

They are different. Different enough to differentitate. This project is also where a T+ albino lineage was discovered on the Hog island side.

No different than the sunset project(s)

I want to say skip Frye or Bill Kirby started this in the early 2000’s, with Chris Gilbert taking the project over. You could consult them, or look at the kingsnake boa forum archives, as it was all started there.

It really isn’t something to be overly dramatic about.

Last edited:
so if i'm understanding right, a true 'hog island' has to be like, traceable pedigree-wise back to those original hog island founder snakes? not just any old boa with some hypothetical hog dna from way back when?

The whole point is to differentiate bloods with hog island influence, from typical blood Central American/colombian locality crosses.
Yes, of course. But what counts as "influence"? That was my point about using a locale as a genetic trait: with genetic traits we can say whether the animal carries the gene, or with what probability the animal carries it. Not so with locale as "influence".

It was supposed to be humorous anyway, not dramatic. Tough crowd. ;)

Back